The first picture of Anne Hathaway as catwoman has been released. I have to admit I was a little disappointed at the costume in the photo. It has none of the traditional catwoman marks or looks about it other than tight and black. I’m hoping that there is more to the costume than was released in the photo.
In honor of the more traditional catwoman costume, and the upcoming film (only a year away), I have made a catwoman hat tutorial and pattern for you to get you started on your own totally awesome catwoman costume.
You will need:
- Black vinyl
- Your choice of contrast fabric for binding and chin strap
- 1 hook & eye
- Prepare the pattern by cutting out the pattern pieces. Tape the head middle pieces together overlapping the edges that say “Tape together here”. I had to cut the middle piece in half because it didn’t fit on a regular 8 x 11 piece of paper. Now you are ready to go!
- Cut out your catwoman costume hat pieces from the vinyl. Transfer the markings from the pattern to your fabric pieces. Seam allowance has already been added where it is needed. There is no seam allowance on the edges that will be covered by the binding.
- Baste along the dotted lines on the hat pieces.
- With right sides together, pin each side head piece to its middle head piece, easing the side head so it doesn’t pucker. I suggest matching the ear dots and then working out from there, pinning every inch or more if needed.
- Sew the pieces together being careful not to get any puckers.
- With right sides together, match the middle head pieces together and sew them down the center.
- Trim the seams to 1/4 “, clip the seams and press the side head seams toward the middle of the cap and the center head seam open.
- Pin the cat ears right sides together and sew along the dotted lines.
- Turn ride side out and press.
- Sew the ear onto the costume hat where it says “sew ears here”.
- On your contrast fabric, Cut a strip of fabric that is 1” x 26 ½”. This is your binding.
- Cut a second piece crosswise on your fabric that is 2 ¾” x 9”. This is your chin strap.
- Create your binding by pressing the binding piece in half lengthwise. Open it up and fold the outsides to the middle line. Press.
- Press the chin piece the same as the binding. Turn under the edges so they are finished and top stitch all along the edges.
- Pin your binding all along the outside of the catwoman hat and stitch in place.
- Sew the chin strap to the right side head on the boxed X.
- Hand stitch the hook to the end of the chin strap that is not attached to the hat.
- Put on the hat so you can fit the chin strap. Make a mark where you want to place the hook eye so the chin strap hooks comfortable under the chin.
- Now you can add your own finishing touches, a pair of goggles, a mask or just some really cool makeup.
DOWNLOAD YOUR CATWOMAN COSTUME HAT PATTERN